Permitted Development rights for Householders

Town and Country Planning Act 1990
Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995

Recent changes to legislation regarding Householder Permitted Development have been introduced. These changes now clearly identify how you may be able to extend your property without the need to apply for Planning Permission. See below for the criteria to achieve Permitted Development.

  • Extensions should not be any greater in size than 50% of the land around the `original house`.

  • Extensions should not project forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a road.

  • Extensions should not project above the highest part of the original roof.

  • Rear extensions to a semi-detached house should not be any greater than 3 metres in depth and 4 metres in depth for a detached house.

  • The maximum height of a single-storey rear extension should not be any more than 4 metres.

  • Extensions at 1st floor and above should not be greater than 3metres in depth.

  • Maximum eaves height of an extension within 2 metres of a boundary should not be greater than 3 metres high.

  • Eaves and ridge heights of extensions should not be any higher than the existing house.

  • Extensions to the side of the property should only be single storey and a maximum of half the width of the original house in depth with a maximum height of 4 metres.

  • 2 storey extensions should not be any closer than 7 metres from the rear boundary.

  • Roof pitches of extensions above 1st floor and above should match existing roof pitches.

  • The materials used for any extension should match that of the original house.

  • Extensions including verandas, balconies or raised platforms must seek planning permission.

  • Side windows in 1st floors and above must be obscured and any openings to be 1.7m above the finished floor level.

  • Permitted Development Rules to houses on designated land differ from the above.

The above list is an interpretation of the Householder Permitted Development Rights 2008 and do not constitute a definitive source of legal information. Should you have any concerns you should contact your local planning department prior to any building work.